Prof. Dr. Gençay Gürsoy Sentenced to 2 Years, 3 Months in Prison

Yazar / Referans: 
Tansu Pişkin, Bianet

Prof. Dr. Gençay Gürsoy, for whom the Prosecutor’s Office announced its opinion as to the accusation in the previous hearing, has been sentenced to 2 years, 3 months in prison after new documents have been added to his file between the hearings.

Trial of academics, who have been charged with "propagandizing for a terrorist organization" for having signed the declaration entitled "We will not be a party to this crime" prepared by the Academics for Peace, continued in İstanbul Çağlayan Courthouse today (December 11).

At the İstanbul 37th Heavy Penal Court, Prof. Dr. Gençay Gürsoy retired from the Medical School of İstanbul University could not attend his third hearing on the ground that he had a medical report.

Though the Prosecutor's Office announced its opinion as to the accusations in his previous hearing and demanded that the academic be penalized on charge of "propagandizing for a terrorist organization", it was seen in today's hearing that his social media posts and interview to the news website were added to the case file.

Pronouncing its verdict, the court ruled that Prof. Dr. Gençay Gürsoy shall be sentenced to 2 years and 3 months in prison on charge of "propagandizing for an armed terrorist organization". The court board did not reduce the prison sentence of Gürsoy "considering his negative attitude and behavior in the hearing and the conviction that he does not feel any remorse."

The court has not deferred the announcement of the verdict. The prison sentence will become definite after the ruling of the court of appeal.

The court board consisted of Presiding Judge Akın Gürlek; members Erol Güngör, Ferhat Şirin; Prosecutor Can Tümer Keriş.

About Gençay Gürsoy

Former Chair of Turkish Medical Association (TTB) Central Council, academic, neurologist.

He graduated from the Medical School of İstanbul University. He received neuroradiology education at University of Oslo in Norway between 1968-1969 and 1972-1974.

After the military coup on September 12, 1980, he was discharged from his post "without ever being able to work for a public institution" based on the Martial Law. He was reinstated in his previous position as per the ruling of the Council of State in 1990.

He was the Secretary General of the İstanbul Medical Chamber, Turkish Medical Association High Honorary Board member and Chair of İstanbul Medical Chamber for two terms. He was also the Head of Neurology Department at the Medical School of İstanbul University.

Having been retired in 2006, Gürsoy was also among the founders of the Human Rights Association (İHD) and Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (TİHV).